Click Here to Subscribe through
Click Here to Subscribe through
NetScount (Network General) requested that we change our Podcast Series name from "The Sniffer Guy" to something else--because they consider it to be a violation of their Trademark.
So--from this point forward, the Podcast shall be called, "The Root Cause."
Episode 18: Baselinig--StressTesting--PerformceTesting-OhMy-PartTwo--TestingStrategies
- Describes definitions and strategies for accurate performance testing on global networks
Episode 17: Testing Environments--Cost Justification
- Describes an approach to explaining the Cost vs. Price aspects of providing the needed funding for building appropriate test environments.
Episode 16: Baselining--StressTesting--PerformanceTesting--OhMy--PartOne--Environments.
- Describes modern Testing Environments required for appropriate Network and Application Performance testing in large enterprise networks.
- Part one of three. The second podcast (episode 17) discusses the Management point of view and provides an important Cost Justification. The third podcast describes the various form of testing within these environments.
Episode 15: How Vendors Direct IT Best Practices
- Describes the impact of IT vendor product's limitations and abilities on how IT workers "think" about Troubleshooting and Performance Analysis.
Episode 14: Interpath Application Flow Diagrams-01.
- Describes the difference between Application Flow Diagrams and Network Diagrams. Provides some templates.
Episode 13: Our Name Has Changed and NetGen Updates.
- Explains our name change and provides some updates on Network General/NetScout.
Episode 12: Sniffer Portable 4.9 Compared to Wireshark 1.0.0.
- Compares Sniffer 4.9 to Wireshark 1.0.0 and speculates on their future strategies.
Episode 11: "What's So Great about Packet-Sniffers?"
- Descibes the key differences between using Packet-Sniffers and other tools.
Episode 10: "Capture Filter Concepts"
- Describes how hardware and software affect the capture filter capabilities of various Packet-Sniffers
Episode 09: "Mentoring in IT"
- Describes the growing crisis in IT Management as senior experienced staff member--who are Baby Boomer--start to leave the company and how to get started with a Mentoring Program to help bring up the next generation of IT Leaders.
Episode 08: "Packet-Sniffer Filtering Concepts-01"
- Describes basic concept of filtering with a packet-sniffer. The first of many on this topic.
Episode 07: "The Missing Link in IT Management"
- Discusses a role in Senior IT Management that could save large corporations millions of dollars per year, but which is not currently part of the IT Management Structure.
Episode 06: "Myths of Utilization and Automated Metrics"
- Myths are metaphors--and so are automated metrics and utilzation metrics. To take them as literal will lead you astray--but to underestand what they can and cannot do will provide poerful insight in your environment.
Episode 05: "The NAPA Troubleshooting Team"
- Discusses Discusses the compnents, skill-sets, roles and processes involvd in creating and maintain a Network and Application Performance Analysis Team.
Episode 04: "The 7 Most Common Mistakes Using Packet-Sniffers"
- Discusses why IT professionals often fail to get useful, accurate or actionable information from Packet-Sniffers.
Episode 03: "Why Network Assessments Must Include Application and Protocol Behavior"
- Discusses why it is so important to add a process for testing how applications and protocols "RIDE" the network in additional to the usual tools and processes.
Episode 02: "How To Create Open-Source Distributed Packet-Sniffers"
- Discusses the In's and Out's of building an inexpensive suite of Open-Source Distributed Packet_Sniffers that are controllable from a central location, allow the Network and Application Performance Analyst to synchronize trace file times, avoid security issues and other "Gotchas" in Enterprise IT Environments.
Episode 01: "Fundamentals of Network and Application Performance Analysis"
- Discusses a 5-Step Project based approach to troubleshooting a Network or Networked Application. Focus is on creation of a team, required skillsets, "gotchas" and the Interpath Technologies Root Cause Analysis Methodology.